poniedziałek, 15 września 2014

SZUKAM CIĘ or SZUKAM CIEBIE?

PERSONAL PRONOUNS IN THE POLISH LANGUAGE

Both Polish native speakers and learners of Polish as a foreign language make mistakes when using the personal pronouns. The foreigners who have already learnt to use the pronouns correctly get confused when they hear the Polish saying things like: „szukam ciebie“ (I’ve been looking for you), „potrzebuję ciebie“ (I need you), „pożyczyłem jemu“ (I’ve lent him) and so on. The Polish we’re talking about are not only your colleagues or people you meet in the street, unfortunately, also those who appear in the media. Having heard the native speakers say that, the students return to the classroom convinced that they must have misunderstood something the teacher had said. But no, there’s no misunderstanding here. The truth is that the Polish make those mistakes repeatedly. And the rule is fairly easy to follow.

POLISH GRAMMAR: COMMON DOUBTS

In some cases the personal pronouns take a few forms. Let’s take the genitive case, for instance. The pronoun „ty“ (you singular) used in the genitive case takes the forms ciebie/cię; „on“ (he) – niego/go/jego; „ona“ (she) – niej/jej. It’s almost the same story with the accusative case but for the forms of „ona, which are ją/nią in this case. In the dative case the pronoun „ja“ takes the forms mi/mnie, and „on“ – mu/niemu/jemu. All the abovementioned forms are correct, all you need to know is when to use them, i.e. in which structures they appear. Let’s take a look at some examples which are often given in Polish classes:

Czekam na niego już pół godziny  (I’ve been waiting for him for half an hour)
Lubię go  (I like him)
Znam go bardzo dobrze.  (I know him very well)
Marek? Marek? Moment… Jego nie znam. (Mare? Marek? Wait a minute... I don’t know him – literally: HIM I do not know)

Bez ciebie to nie ma sensu. (Without you there’s no point)
To dla ciebie. (This is for you)
Szukam cię. (I’ve been looking for you)
Potrzebuję cię. (I need you)
Ciebie?! Ciebie nie chcę znać! (You?! I don’t want to know YOU)

Długo mi dziękował. (He thanked me for a long time)
Mnie? O, nie! Mnie nikt nie dziękował. (Me? Oh, no! No one has thanked ME)
Dzięki mnie to zrobił. (He was able to do that thanks to me)

USING THE PERSONAL PRONOUNS: THE RULE

Do you get the rule? Yes! You’re right!
The short pronoun forms, such as mi-cię-go-ją etc. are used IMMEDIATELY after the verb. The long form, e.g. mnie-ciebie-niego-nią we use AFTER THE PREPOSITION („patrzę na ciebie“ – I’m looking at you; „czekam na ciebie“ – I’ve been waiting for you; „boję się o niego“ – I’m worried about him; „odpowiem za nich“ – I’ll answer for them). We also use them when we want to emphasize something: „Jego nie znam“ (I don’t know HIM), „Ją, w przeciwieństwie do Basi, bardzo polubiłam“ (HER, unlike Basia, I got to like a lot – the emphasis is on HER), „Mnie nikt o zgodę nie pytał!“ (No one has asked ME for permission!). In case of emphasis the pronoun is often put at the very beginning of the sentence.
Let’s not forget a few simple rules. It’s nicer to hear „Kocham cię“ (I love you) than „Kocham ciebie“, „Słuchałem cię z przyjemnością“ (I’ve been listening to you with pleasure) than „Słuchałem ciebie z przyjemnością“, „pożyczę mu ten samochód“ (I’ll lend him the car) than „pożyczę jemu ten samochód“, isn‘t it?

DZIĘKI CI – WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

>OK<, the students often say, >We have a sentence: „Jego nigdy nie polubię“ (I’ll never take a fancy to him), but what about „To jest jego żona“, where the pronoun is not used at the beginning of the sentence?< That’s true, but the pronoun used in the second sentence is the possessive pronoun, which is a completely different type.
Great. Then what about „Dzięki ci“? Isn’t that supposed to be „dzięki tobie“? Well, yes and no. „Dzięki tobie mogłem to zrobić“ (I was able to do that thanks to you, here „dzięki“ is a preposition in the dative case).
„Dzięki ci“ is a colloqial way of saying „dziękuję ci“, and the expression is a nonchalant and not really correct equivalent of the latter, which is commonly used, though.

But, as one of my students has wittily pointed out, there are circumstances in which we can use both versions. We can say“ „Czekam na niego“ (I’ve been waiting for HIM), but also „Czekam na go“. Only that the latter means something totally different, doesn’t it? :) [wordplay: na go (the wrong use of „go“ instead of „niego“) and nago (spelt as one word means „naked“, so we get the sentence meaning „I’m waiting, naked“ :)]

If you feel like practising the personal pronouns and not only, see: application Polish for Foreigners, also for Android, iOS and iPad